Providence, RI— It is the policy of the Governor's Office to grant requests for Dome lightings once they are submitted. Today (July 1) at 11:30 a.m., Governor Lincoln D. Chafee received a request by CM Sgt. John P. Gallo, President of the Rhode Island House Veterans Affairs Advisory Council, to illuminate the Dome of the Rhode Island State House red, white and blue on the evenings of July 3 through July 9.
The Dome lighting will salute America, and recognize Veterans past and present for their sacrifices to preserve our freedoms and our way of life. Funding for the ceremonial lighting is being provided by Representative Jan Malik, Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, and Representative Raymond E. Gallison Jr., former Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee.
"I believe that this gesture would demonstrate to all Rhode Islanders that our Governor Respects and honors all who have served to keep our country free and safe and their families who have also sacrificed," Gallo said in a letter to Governor Chafee dated July 1.
The following is a listing of the Dome Illuminations for the calendar year 2014:
• Feb 7-14 Red Heart Association
• Mar 3-11 Blue Colon Cancer
• Mar 12-19 Green Healthy Eating
• April 2-9 Blue Autism
• April 10-18 Orange Work Zone Safety
• April 18-24 Green and Blue Donor Awareness
• May 2-9 Light Green Lyme Disease
• May 12-19 Turquoise Lung Cancer
• June 16-23 Rainbow R.I. Pride
• August 1-11 Green Spinal Muscular Atrophy
• September 1-8 Gold Tomorrow Fund
• September 8-13 Purple Rally for Recovery
• September 13-20 Purple Izzy Foundation
• September 22-29 Purple Alzheimer's Association
• Oct 6-20 Pink Breast Cancer
• Oct 20-27 Purple Lupus
For more information on illuminating the Dome, call Allison Rogers at 401-222-2280 or email her at Allison.Rogers@doa.ri.gov.