Colonel Steven G. O'Donnell, Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police and Commissioner of Public Safety, announces that on July 23, 2014, members of the Rhode Island State Police Major Crimes Unit arrested Michael T. Farley, age 45, of 26 Hunter Avenue, Newport, Rhode Island for Simple Assault.
In June 2014, the Rhode Island State Police received a request from Newport Police Chief Gary T. Silva to investigate an incident involving Mr. Farley who is a member of the Newport City Council.
The investigation by members of the State Police Major Crimes Unit resulted in the issuance of an arrest warrant alleging that:
• On June 9, 2014, the Newport Police received a call for service from Michael Farley and responded to 24/26 Hunter Street;
• The Newport Police conducted an initial investigation into an incident between Mr. Farley and a contractor who was working at 24 Hunter Street, which abuts Mr. Farley's property;
• The contractor was using a ladder, which he believed belonged to the owner of the home he was working at;
• Mr. Farley confronted the contractor and accused him of stealing his ladder; and
• The confrontation led to a physical altercation, in which it is alleged that Mr. Farley assaulted the contractor.
Michael Farley was arraigned today in Second Division District Court. Mr. Farley pled nolo contendere to a charge of simple assault. The Honorable Associate Judge Colleen M. Hastings sentenced Mr. Farley to a one year filing, ordered him to have no contact with the victim and provide restitution to the victim for medical expenses.
MEDIA CONTACT: Major Todd E. Catlow, Detective Commander, (401) 444-1005