Freshwater Fishing License
Start License type Licensee information Military service Signature Payment information Verify Done
What you will need:
- A Visa, Mastercard or Discover credit card
- A printer to print your fishing license
- Your driver's license or official state identification card
- Your date of birth, height, weight, hair and eye color
- The last 4 digits of your social security number (Why?)
2016 licenses are not available until March 1.
Annual licenses purchased today are 2015 licenses expiring on February 29, 2016 (in 16 days).
What you should know:
- Over 65? Free licenses are available to Rhode Island residents over the age of 65, but these special licenses are not available online. See the DEM Web site for more information.
- Licenses and permits purchased online are not subject to exchange or return.
- Annual license terms run from March 1 through the last day of February in the current licensing year. You will be prompted to select a start date for any short term licenses.
- This service will provide you with a printable PDF of your license. Click here to view and test print a sample PDF. You will need to print your license upon completion of your online transaction, as licenses are not mailed. A PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print your license.
- For resident licenses you will need to prove residency with your RI drivers license or RI ID number or an active military identification number.
- All active military personnel are entitled to purchase a RI Resident Fishing Licenses even if you do not live in Rhode Island. Those licenses held by active military personnel are valid until 6 months after their official discharge.
- Hunting licenses are currently NOT available online. The DEM Web site has this list of vendors authorized to sell fishing and hunting licenses as well as stamps, tags and other permits.
- Per RI GL 20-3-7, shellfish licenses are not valid for harvesting of shellfish on Block Island. Please contact the Block Island Harbors Department at (401) 466-3204 for applicable licenses.
Already purchased a license online this year?
If you misplaced or had trouble printing the fishing license you purchased this year, you can retrieve your license here. You will need your receipt information.