Freshwater Fishing License

Start License type Licensee information Military service Signature Payment information Verify Done

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I use my check card?
A: Yes - As long as your card has a MasterCard or VISA logo, it should work like a regular credit card.

Q: Will my license be mailed to me?
A: No - You are responsible for printing your license after you have completed the payment process.

Q: Do I need any special equipment or software to buy the online license?
A: You will need your credit card, a printer and a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. We strongly recommend that you test your system by printing out a SAMPLE LICENSE before attempting to use the online tool.

Q: Can I buy a hunting license online?
A: Not at this time, only fishing and shellfish licenses are available through the online application. We hope to offer a wider variety of licenses in the future.

Q: Why is my shellfish license not valid on Block Island?
A: Per RI GL 20-3-7, shellfish licenses are not valid for harvesting of shellfish on Block Island. Please contact the Harbors Department at (401) 466-3204 for applicable licenses.

Q: Do I need to display the license I buy online when I am fishing?
A: Yes, RI law mandates that you keep your license visible while fishing. The printed document has lines to aid you in folding it to a manageable size.

Q: Do I need special paper for printing my license?
A: No - Regular clean white printer paper is all that is necessary.

Q: May I reprint my license later if I need to?
A: Yes - There is a re-print function available on the start page. You will need to provide your name, receipt number and the date of purchase to be able to regenerate your license. This option is available only for licenses purchased online.

Q: I have a current fishing license. Can I purchase more privileges such as a trout stamp to supplement this license through this online service?
A: No.

Q: If I buy a fishing license online can I buy a trout stamp from a local vendor later on?
A: Yes - you can purchase the full color trout stamp from any vendor. After you have purchased the stamp you will be required to affix it to your license.

Q: May I save the PDF license document to be printed later?
A: Yes

Q: When I print my license, some of the text is garbled, prints over top of itself, or does not print at all. What is happening?
A: You are probably using a full version of Adobe Acrobat that does not recognize a font (times-roman) used in the document. Close Acrobat and open the file with a current version of Acrobat Reader.

Q: Who do I call if I have trouble or questions about buying a license on-line?
A: If you have trouble using the web site, call at 401-831-8099 x 26 during normal business hours 9:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. ET except holidays. If you have questions about what license to buy, call the RI DEM at 401-222-6647 ex 4931.