Press Releases


14 Year Old Sentenced to 15 Years for September 2010 Motor Vehicle Crash Resulting in Death of Nine Year Old

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced Marcus Ortiz, DOB: 09/09/96, with a last known address of 56 Rankin Street, Providence, was certified and plead nolo contendere today in Family Court before Judge Kathleen Voccola to reckless driving death resulting, reckless driving serious bodily injury, larceny over $500, breaking and entering, and leaving the scene of the accident.

Under the plea agreement, Ortiz was sentenced to 15 years, with eight to serve. He will begin his sentence at the Rhode Island Training School until a “modification” hearing,” at which time a Family Court judge will determine if the sentence should be modified or continued to be served at the Adult Correctional Institution. The modification hearing must be held 30 days prior to the 18th birthday of the juvenile. Under certification, Ortiz is convicted and the sentence will extend into adulthood.

Shortly before 3:00 p.m. on September 25, 2010, Ortiz broke into the Nickerson House Community Center and stole keys to the Community Center’s passenger van. Ortiz then proceeded to drive down Manton Ave, where he sideswiped a vehicle and drove away.

Ortiz then turned onto Hartford Ave toward the Olneyville section of Providence. The occupants of the first vehicle followed the van into Olneyville where they waived down a passing Providence Police cruiser and alerted the officer to the incident. The Police came upon the van as it entering Route 10 South from Westminster Street.

As Ortiz entered Route 10, police activated the lights to make a motor vehicle stop.

Ortiz sideswiped a second vehicle, lost control of the van, and crossed the median into oncoming traffic on the northbound side of Route 10, where he struck a vehicle driven by Stephanie Flynn. Flynn’s nine year old daughter Alexis died as a result of the crash. Flynn and two other minor passengers were seriously injured in the crash.

Ortiz has been detained at the Training School since his arrest in October.

The investigation by led the RI State Police, Providence Police and Cranston Police. Assistant Attorneys General Feidlim Gill and Jay Sullivan handled the case for the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: