Governor Lincoln D. Chafee and the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) announced today an expansion of travel time information on I-95 to assist motorists in planning their routes during heavily traveled periods.
Beginning tomorrow, Friday, September 30, 2011, RIDOT will make travel times available along the full length of I-95 in Rhode Island, both Northbound and Southbound. In addition, RIDOT is offering times for several new destinations – including Exit 22 (Downtown), Exit 9 (Route 4) and the Connecticut state line – and will begin to use its portable message boards in conjunction with the overhead signs.
This new phase of the project continues to utilize existing RIDOT technology and equipment, aiding commuters traveling I-95 during peak travel hours. It also helps divert traffic and ease congestion during these busy times.
"This is another great tool for Rhode Islanders to use to make informed decisions as they drive," Governor Chafee said. "We are especially pleased to put existing technology to work to provide this valuable resource."
The travel times are calculated using RIDOT sensors that were previously put into place to measure traffic volumes. The equipment measures the speed of traffic in real time as vehicles travel from one sensor to another, and determines an approximate travel time for each segment of road along the route. With this latest phase, RIDOT is utilizing all of its sensors available on the I-95 corridor.
"Travel times are an important enhancement," RIDOT Director Michael P. Lewis said. "They can be used along with our other services, such as traffic cameras and 511, to assist motorists in getting to their destinations with as little disruption as possible."
The following signs will display travel time information along I-95:
• Overhead message board at the Connecticut state line – travel times to Exit 13 (T.F. Green Airport) and Exit 22 (Downtown)
• Roadside message board near Exit 3 (Route 138) – travel time to Exit 13 and the Massachusetts state line
• Roadside message board near Exit 5 (Route 102) – travel times to Exit 13 and Exit 22
• Overhead message board at Milford Street in Cranston – travel times to Exit 22 and the Massachusetts state line
• Overhead message board at East Street in Pawtucket – travel times to Exit 13 (T.F. Green Airport) and Exit 9 (Route 4 South)
• Overhead message board at Smithfield Avenue in Pawtucket – travel times to Exit 13 and Exit 9
• Roadside message board at Branch Avenue in Providence – travel time to Connecticut state line
• Overhead message board at Laurens Street in Cranston – travel times to Exit 9 and the Connecticut state line
• Overhead message board between Exit 10 and Exit 9 at Cowesett Road – travel time to Connecticut state line
• Overhead message board at Exit 5 – travel time to Connecticut state line
The overhead message board on I-95 Northbound at Cowesett Road in Warwick and at Broad Street in Providence will continue to display information regarding the weight limit on the Pawtucket River Bridge.
Travel time information is displayed from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. Emergency messages because of a vehicle crash or an Amber Alert will take precedence, and travel times do not return until the incident is cleared.
Those with questions can contact RIDOT's Customer Service office at 401-222-2450 weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additional information will be available on RIDOT's website (www.dot.ri.gov) and its social media sites on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and Blogger.
Contact: Charles St. Martin 401-222-1362 x4007