The Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency (RIEMA) suggests that anyone interested in volunteering for or making a donation to Hurricane Sandy response efforts should follow the following guidelines:
- To register as an available volunteer call 2-1-1, or visit www.serverhodeisland.org
- Do not show up unannounced at a disaster site. Volunteer help may be needed in many communities; however, the goal is to match the community needs with volunteer skill sets and availability.
- Volunteer opportunities exist for individuals and for businesses.
- Donations can be made to a recognized volunteer agency of the individual's choice.
- Donations of cash are most useful for response and relief efforts. For additional information on needs, call 2-1-1.
- Donations can also be made through the National Donation Management Network (NDMN) at http://www.aidmatrixnetwork.org/fema/states.aspx?ST=Rhode Island
RIEMA thanks all donors for their generosity and support. For regularly updated information on the response to Hurricane Sandy, visit www.riema.ri.gov or call 2-1-1.