Press Releases


I lost my disability placard. How do I go about replacing it?

You may request a replacement for a lost or worn placard by coming to the DMV Disability Placard Office located at 600 New London Avenue in Cranston. Please bring proof of your identity with you, such as a driver's license or state identification card.

If your placard is lost, you will be asked to sign an affidavit attesting to the fact that it has been lost. If the placard has been stolen, you must first report it to your local police department and a copy of the police report must be included with your replacement request. If you are requesting a replacement for a worn placard, please bring it or mail it to DMV in Cranston.

Applications for disability placards are available at any DMV location and they can be downloaded from the DMV website. You must fill out one side of the application and have your doctor fill out the other side, noting the medical reason why you need a disability placard. Based on your medical condition, the doctor will decide whether your need for a disability placard is long-term, temporary or permanent. Once the application form is completed, you can bring it or mail it to the DMV Disability Placard Office, 600 New London Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920.

For more information about these topics and other DMV services offered online including driver's license renewal, please visit our website at

Related links

Share this: