Press Releases


Can international students get a RI driver's license? I am hosting a 16 year old student from Japan that has an F1 Visa to attend high school here in the US. If this is possible, what type of paperwork does she need?

Every student under the age of 18 must take 33 hours of class time in a driver education program. The student must contact the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) and check class availability. When they finish the CCRI class, they will get a Driver Education Program green certificate that allows them to go to any DMV and receive a permit. They have the opportunity to schedule a road test appointment at this time. The student must hold their permit for 6 months before they can take a road exam. The six-month waiting period does not apply if the student is 18 years of age.

If the student chooses to go to a non-CCRI class, they would take or mail the certificate of course completion to CCRI for a Driver Education Program yellow certificate that will allow them to come to the Cranston DMV to take the Knowledge Exam. If they pass the Knowledge Exam, they will have the opportunity to schedule their Road Exam. If under the age of 18 years old, the student must hold their permit for 6 months before they can take a road exam.

Here is a list of required documents needed to get a RI driver's license if you have an F-1 Visa:

  • Passport.
  • I-94.
  • I-20.
  • Social Security denial letter or the Social Security card.
  • Proof of address they live here in RI.
  • Letter from the school they are attending.
  • The LI-1 application filled out and notarized before they come into the DMV.
  • Student ID.

The customer service representatives at DMV are extremely knowledgeable about the documents needed and procedures to follow in order for international students to obtain a RI driver's license. They will be happy to assist you with any questions. For more information, visit our website at

Related links

Share this: