The Rhode Island Department of Health (HEALTH) advises consumers that Food For Life Baking Company of Corona, California has issued a recall of its Ezekiel 4:9 Cereals because the products may be mislabeled and may contain an undeclared allergen - almond. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to almond protein can suffer moderate to acute life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.
Food For Life is recalling 15,369 cases of Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Cereal shipped between November 20, 2012 and February 11, 2013:
- Ezekiel 4:9 Cereal – Original. UPC 073472002550. Lot # M3232, M3313, M3512, M3565.
- Ezekiel 4:9 Cereal - Golden Flax. UPC 073472002568. Lot # M3253, M3309, M3414, M3439, M3523, N0068, N0165.
- Ezekiel 4:9 Cereal - Cinnamon Raisin. UPC 073472002574. Lot # M3232, M3313, M3328, M3425, M3512, M3527, M3537, N0045, N0132.
This recall has been initiated as a precautionary measure following a random allergen test performed at the facility concluding that the product may contain an undeclared allergen. This recall is being made with the knowledge and in cooperation with the Food and Drug Administration. No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue.
The recalled products were sold nationwide, including in Rhode Island, through health food distributors and natural food retailers. Food For Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Cereals are sold dry in 16 oz. (454g) Cereal Cartons and bear the following descriptions:
- Food For Life, Ezekiel 4:9 Boxed Cereal –Original, (Orange Carton)
- Food For Life, Ezekiel 4:9 Boxed Cereal –Golden Flax, (Blue Carton)
- Food For Life, Ezekiel 4:9 Boxed Cereal –Cinnamon Raisin, (Purple Carton)
Consumers who have purchased any of these products are urged to return them unopened to the place of purchase for a refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company toll free at: (800) 797-5090.