Press Releases


Terrel Barros Found Guilty of 2012 Murder of Jamal Cruz

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin today announced that Terrel Barros (age 24), with a last known address of 10 Spring Street, Fairhaven, was found guilty by a Providence County Superior Court jury for the August 26, 2012 murder of Jamal Cruz outside Monet Lounge nightclub in Providence.

Barros was found guilty on all counts: first degree murder, discharge of a firearm causing death, being a felon in possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm without a license, assault with a deadly weapon, and discharge of a firearm injury resulting. The jury returned the guilty verdict after deliberating for less than five hours after an eight-day trial presided over by Superior Court Associate Justice Robert D. Krause.

During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that after a minor verbal dispute in Monet Lounge between Barros and Cruz and their groups of friends, Barros shot and killed Cruz in the parking lot just before 2:30 a.m. Barros also shot and seriously wounded Rokiem Henley, a friend of the decedent.

Cruz, Henley and several friends arrived at the nightclub shortly before 12:30 a.m. on August 26, 2012. Barros and several friends, including Stephen Bodden (age 22) of New Bedford, arrived at Monet Lounge shortly after. When leaving the club, the two groups of friends got into a minor verbal dispute.

Outside in the parking lot, Barros wielded a 40 caliber Smith & Wesson firearm and shot and struck Cruz and Henley. Upon hearing shots fired, Providence Police Patrolmen Michael Pattie and Daniel Sirignano, who were working detail shifts at the nightclub, took Barros and Bodden, who was attempting to hide the gun in the door panel of the vehicle, into custody almost immediately.

Jamal Cruz identified Barros as the shooter at the scene before dying after being transported by rescue to Rhode Island Hospital.

Bodden, who is currently incarcerated in Massachusetts, is charged with receiving stolen goods (the firearm), carrying a pistol without a license, and misprison of a felony knowing that a crime was committed.

Providence Police Detective Angelo A'Vant led the investigation, and Special Assistant Attorney General Peter Roklan and Assistant Attorney General Stacey Veroni prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: