Press Releases


Pawtucket Man Sentenced to 20 Years for 2012 Shooting in Foster

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Superior Court Justice Robert D. Krause yesterday sentenced David Lopes, age 53, with a last known address of 53 Seabiscuit Avenue, Pawtucket to 20 years to serve for the September 11, 2012 shooting of Orlando Piker.

Lopes pled guilty to multiple charges stemming from the incident including assault with a dangerous weapon with the intent to murder, felony assault, discharging a firearm during a crime of violence, and carrying a pistol without a license.

Krause sentenced Lopes to 20 years to serve on the assault with a dangerous weapon with the intent to murder; 10 years to serve on the felony assault, to run concurrent; 10 years to serve on the carrying a pistol without a license, to run concurrent, and 20 years to serve, suspended with probation, on the discharging a firearm during the commission of a crime of violence, to run consecutive. In addition, Judge Krause ordered Lopes have no contact with the victim upon release from prison.

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that on September 11, 2012, Lopes, armed with a .38 revolver, went to a residence in Foster to confront his step daughter and her boyfriend, Orlando Piker, both of whom had accused Lopes molesting the child of his stepdaughter.

After pointing the gun as his stepdaughter and threatening to kill her, Lopes entered the bedroom where Piker was and shot him several times. Piker was able to get out of the bedroom and, while running for the door to escape, Lopes shot him several more times. Piker is able to run tot a neighbor's house to call E911.

Lopes left the residence and drove to the Foster Police Department, where he informed the dispatcher that he shot Piker and that the firearm was in his vehicle. The Foster Police arrested Lopes without incident.

Piker suffered nine gunshot wounds, yet survived.

The Foster Police and the Rhode Island State Police, at the request of Foster, investigated the incident, and Special Assistant Attorney General Charles Calenda prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: