DMV Registration Renewal
Problems with the Online Application:
Be sure to type it in as it appeared on your registration
Note: We recommend using your current registration when supplying your information
Use your full name including suffixes and middle initials
When entering your address please be sure to enter your residence address and not your mailing address
- Remember to include APT# or FLR #
- If your address is misspelled on your registration, please enter it as it appears. Once you are in the system, you will have an opportunity to update your address unless your vehicle is leased or is a commercial registration.
How can I renew my vehicle registration?
Renewals may be sent by mail with the reminder form; or in most cases, completed online. If your vehicle is more then 90 days past its expiration date you need to go in person to the DMV to reregister your vehicle: bring your identification as well as your old registration and insurance information to the branch to fill out the necessary forms.
- Can I renew a vehicle registration belonging to a business or organization?
Business owned vehicles are electronically renewable. Be sure to key in the vehicle information as it is presented on the registration record.
- Do I need to be a Rhode Island resident to register my vehicle in Rhode Island?
Yes, you must be a Rhode Island resident to have a vehicle registered in Rhode Island.
- Can I change my address or other vehicle information online?
Yes, when renewing your vehicle registration, you may have an opportunity to change your residence and mailing address. However, if your vehicle is leased or has a commercial registration, you may not change this information while conducting your online renewal.
- May I register my new vehicle online?
No. You must register your new vehicle in person at the Division of Motor Vehicles.
For a listing of office locations and services please visit http://www.dmv.ri.gov/locations/
- What type of vehicle can be renewed online?
Registrations for many types of vehicles can be renewed online. However, restrictions may apply to some vehicles. See the full list of vehicles.
- How often do I need to renew my vehicle registrations and what are the costs?
For information on renewal schedules and current fees please visit the vehicle types help page
- What is the processing time?
Please allow 2 weeks for delivery of your renewed vehicle registration. Note: Weekend registrations are process by the DMV Monday afternoon.
- What forms of payment can be used online?
Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. We also accept debit cards issued under the Visa and MasterCard logo. Only cards with a US billing address will be accepted
- If I give my credit card information online is it safe?
RI.gov takes your privacy and security seriously. Our technology and policies are designed to make your transactions safe, private and secure. Our secure socket layer software uses state of the art encryption to ensure that your personal and financial information cannot be intercepted during transmission to our server. Encrypted personal information includes credit card number, name and address.
- Will you sell my information to telemarketers?
No. RI.gov will not trade, rent, or sell your personal or financial information.
- I never received a renewal notice can I still renew online?
Yes, if you did not receive a renewal notice you can use your old registration to supply the information needed to complete the online form
Other Common Problems:
- The system is saying that I owe back taxes – What should I do?
If you paid: Please allow one or two business days for the system to update.
If you did not pay: Please contact the DMV tax delinquency line at 401-462-5720.
- The system is saying that I have a suspension on my registration. Can I still renew online?
No, you will need to contact the DMV - Operator Control at 401-462-0800.
The system is telling me that the registration is not active – why?
If your registration has expired you should call the DMV for a renewal form to be mailed to you or report to any DMV branch location to fill out a registration renewal form. This form, complete with your insurance information and together with a check for the correct amount made out to Division of Motor Vehicles or DMV, should then be placed in the renewal drop box.
If your vehicle is more then 90 days past its expiration date you need to go in person to the DMV to reregister your vehicle: bring your identification as well as your old registration and insurance information to the branch to fill out the necessary forms.
Note: In most cases, if you are not able to complete the renewal online you should contact the DMV at 401-462-4368
- Something went wrong when paying
When at the payment page do not click back on your browser
Note: At times it may take up to 10-20 seconds to process your transaction
- My credit card is being rejected
Be sure to double check that the card number and expiration date is being entered correctly. Be sure that you are listing the billing address for the credit card or debt card. Check that you are using a credit/debit card with a US billing address
- What if my vehicle does not show up in a search?
Be sure that you are entering the information as it is presented on your registration record. If your vehicle is still not found, please contact the DMV directly at 401-462-4368.
- Who should I contact if I'm experiencing technical difficulties?
All technical difficulties may be directed to RI.gov help desk either by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 401-831-8099 x26.
- How do I reach the Division of Motor Vehicles?
Division of Motor Vehicles600 New London Ave, Cranston, RI 02920-3024401-462-4368
For a full list of contact information please visit: http://www.dmv.ri.gov/contact/