Press Releases


Evan Perez Pleads Guilty in April 2011 Home Invasion in Cranston

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Evan Perez (DOB: 12/23/90), with a last known address of 71 Field Street, Providence, pleaded guilty yesterday before Superior Court Justice Robert D. Krause for his role in the April 2011 home invasion in Cranston.

Perez pleaded to multiple charges including assault with a dangerous weapon, first degree robbery, possession of a firearm, conspiracy, and use of a firearm while committing a crime of violence. Justice Krause sentenced Perez to 15 years to serve and a consecutive term of 20 years suspended with probation.

Perez was sentenced to 15 years to serve on the assault with a dangerous weapon in a dwelling, 15 to serve on the assault with a dangerous weapon, and 15 to serve on the first degree robbery; sentences to run concurrent. He was sentenced to 10 years on the possession of a firearm and 10 years on the conspiracy charge, sentences to run concurrent. He was sentenced to 20 years suspended with probation on the use of a firearm in the commission of a crime of violence, sentence to run consecutive.

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove that on April 21, 2011, Perez and indicted co-conspirator Karany Chhay, wearing bandanas over their faces in an attempt to conceal their identities, forced their way into a home located at 365 Bay View Avenue in Cranston, and made their way to the basement where 18 year old Marcus Goodrich and a few friends were located. Upon entering the basement and brandishing a firearm, the two masked men demanded money from Goodrich.

The state would have also proved that, Susan Goodrich, the boy’s mother who was upstairs at the time, heard the noises and went to investigate. Trying to protect her son and his friends, Susan Goodrich became involved in an altercation with the gunman. During the struggle, Susan and Marcus Goodrich were shot. The gunmen fled the scene. Carl Goodrich, the husband and father of the two shooting victims, chased Perez and Chhay as they attempted to flee the premises. Goodrich caught up with Chhay where the two struggled before Chhay was able to escape.

The residents immediately called the Cranston Police.

Chhay was apprehended by the Cranston Police shortly after the incident. Working with the Providence Police and the FBI Safe Streets Task Force, Perez was later apprehended at Chhay’s residence, where a firearm was seized. The witnesses later identified the two gunmen as Perez and Chhay.

The investigation was led by Cranston Police Detectives Jamie Cahill and Warren Henseler. The case was prosecuted by Special Assistant Attorneys General John Moreira and Jim Baum on behalf of the Office of Attorney General. Perez has been held without bail since his arrest in April.

Related links

Share this: