Press Releases


Pawtucket Man Sentenced to 18 Years for 2008 Sexual Assault

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced Muhammad Farooq (DOB: 9/18/79) with a last known address of 258 Columbus Avenue, Pawtucket, was sentenced to 18 years to serve for a 2008 sexual assault and assault with a dangerous weapon.

Superior Court Justice Williams E. Carnes found Farooq guilty in January after a three day jury-waived trial. Justice Carnes sentenced Farooq to 30 years, with 18 to serve and the remainder suspended with probation, on the count of first degree sexual assault. He sentenced Farooq to 10 years, one to serve, on the assault with a dangerous weapon, and 15 years, five to serve, on the count of second degree sexual assault, with sentences to run concurrent.

During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that in November of 2008 Muhammad Farooq sexually assaulted a woman in the backroom of the Sunrise Market in the Mt. Pleasant section of Providence.

The victim, a frequent customer of the Sunrise Market and familiar with the defendant, agreed to join the defendant in the backroom for a cigarette before leaving the store. Once in the backroom, Farooq made sexual advances towards her. When he was rebuffed, he threatened the victim with a knife, forced her down on a makeshift bed and sexually assaulted her.

The victim was able to fight off the defendant and grab the knife, which she used to force him to allow her to leave the building.

"Sexual assault is a crime of violence and control that stem from a person's determination to exercise power over another. It can happen to anyone at anytime, be it a total stranger, or in this case, someone familiar. No matter the circumstances, it is a crime. I commend the victim for her strength to report her assault to the authorities and to assist in putting her rapist behind bars," said Attorney General Kilmartin.

The investigation was led by Providence Police Detective Christopher Rotella. Special Assistant Alison DeCosta prosecuted the case for the Office of Attorney General.

Farooq, who had been released on $100,000 surety bail since May, 2011, was remanded to the ACI immediately after the trial.

Related links

Share this: