Press Releases


New London Man Pleads Guilty to Attempted Kidnapping, Stalking and Firearm Charges

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Matthew Klotz (DOB: 3/4/84), with a last known address of 244 Hempstead Street, New London, CT, pleaded guilty today to one count of attempted kidnapping, stalking and carrying a firearm during a crime of violence.

Superior Court Justice Melanie Thunberg sentenced Klotz to 20 years, with eight to serve and the remainder suspended with probation, on the count of attempted kidnapping, 10 years with eight to serve on the count of carrying a firearm during a crime of violence, and three years to serve and three years probation on the charge of stalking. All sentences will run concurrent. In addition, Justice Thunberg ordered Klotz have no contact with the victims and undergo mental health counseling. Klotz was ordered to surrender to the Court on September 26, 2012 to commence sentence.

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that on October 21, 2011, Klotz attempted to kidnap a female jogger in Narragansett by putting a BB gun to her head and demanding she get into his truck. The victim broke free and reported the incident to the police. During the course of the investigation, it was discovered that a few days prior, Klotz stalked another jogger in Narragansett, but the victim eluded him by running into a nearby store.

Klotz was apprehended by South Kingstown Officers Joan Rich and Douglas O'Brien, with the assistance of Rhode Island State Trooper John Gadrow. Trooper Gadrow, who was off duty at the time, saw Klotz in his vehicle, which was parked in the breakdown lane on Route 1 South. Trooper Gadrow followed the suspect to Route 1 North, where he was pulled over and arrested by Officers Rich and O'Brien.

"Matthew Klotz was a ticking time bomb. Had it not been for the brave actions and quick thinking by his victims and the diligence by the Narragansett Police, this could have ended in tragedy," said Attorney General Kilmartin.

Narragansett Police Detectives Lt. Sean Corrigan and Sergeant Matthew Sutton and Lieutenant Scott Perrin led the investigation and Assistant Attorney Mark Trovato prosecuted the case on behalf of the State.

Related links

Share this: