Press Releases


My wife and I own two passenger vehicles. Over time with trade-ins and registration transfers, our plates are not on the correct vehicles. How do we make the swap of plates between vehicles?

To process a registration plate change between immediate family members, both of you must write a letter gifting the plate to each other. In this case, you would write a letter to the DMV giving the vanity plate to your wife for use on vehicle #1. She, in turn, would write a letter giving you the preferred plate for use on vehicle #2. Since the transfer is between immediate family members, the letters do not need to be notarized. In addition to the gift letters, you must complete a TR-1 form and provide proof of insurance for each vehicle. You will also be required to pay the appropriate registration transfer fees, if there are any.

For more information about registrations or DMV's online license renewals, please visit our website at

Related links

Share this: