Press Releases


Robert Taylor Pleads to Murdering his Mother

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Robert Taylor (age 48), formerly of Providence and Narragansett, pleaded nolo contendere today in Washington County Superior Court before Superior Court Justice Melanie Wilk Thunberg to the May 2013 murder of his mother Allison Taylor. Under the terms of the plea, Taylor was sentenced to life in prison.

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove that on or before May 7, 2013, Taylor killed his mother and then tried to hide the crime by cutting her body up, placing the pieces in several trash bags which he discarded in a dumpster outside her apartment in Narragansett.

On May 7, 2013, Narragansett Police Patrol Officers responded to the apartment complex located at 130 Caswell Street to investigate a larceny complaint. Specifically, police were looking to speak with Robert Taylor regarding a possible larceny from St. Thomas Moore Church. It was believed Robert Taylor was staying at the residence of his mother, Allison M. Taylor.

As patrol officers approached the apartment, they were stopped by a certified nursing assistant (CNA) who indicated she had a scheduled appointment with Allison Taylor. The CNA told the officers that she was met at the apartment by Robert Taylor, who indicated his mother was in the apartment, but not awake yet, and that Robert refused to let her into the apartment. She also told the officers that Robert asked her to go to a nearby Stop and Shop to purchase bleach, paper towels and a shower curtain. She did as he instructed, and when she returned to the apartment, Robert let her into the apartment, indicated his mother was staying at a rehabilitation facility, and asked her to bleach the walls, floors, sinks and countertops. Although she refused to do as Robert instructed, she witnessed him carry several small bags out to the apartment complex dumpster. The CNA exited the apartment as police officers were approaching to question Robert about the larceny at St. Thomas Moore Church.

When patrol officers made contact with Robert, he gave several evasive answers about the larceny and his mother's whereabouts, took a knife out of his pocket and attempted to slice his wrist. Robert was subdued by officers and then transported to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.

Officers entered the apartment and were unable to locate Allison Taylor. During the search of the apartment, officers noted the cleaning supplies the CNA has said she purchased, including bleach and a mop in the bathroom. Shortly thereafter, while searching the premises of the apartment complex, officers located the dismembered human remains of Allison Taylor inside a dumpster.

An autopsy by the Medical Examiner's Office concluded that Allison was asphyxiated and suffered multiple blunt force injuries including abrasions, contusions and multiple rib fractures.

"Allison Taylor suffered an unimaginable death at the hands of her son, who was spiraling out of control leading up to his horrific act," said Attorney General Kilmartin.

The investigation was led by Narragansett Police Detectives Scott Perrin, Dan Sorice, Kyle Edwards, and Kevin Bosquet with assistance from the Rhode Island State Police. Assistant Attorney General Mark Trovato and Special Assistant Attorney General Amy Dodge prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: