Press Releases


East Greenwich Man Sentenced to 15 Years to Serve for Second Degree Child Molestation

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that George Tabora (age 54), of East Greenwich, RI, was sentenced today by Superior Court Justice Brian P. Stern to 25 years with 15 years to serve and the remainder suspended with probation for the second-degree molestation of a young boy. In addition, Tabora was ordered to have no contact with the victim, must undergo sex offender counseling and will be required to register as a sex offender upon his release from the ACI.

Tabora had been found guilty in January 2017 by a Kent County Superior Court jury of two counts of second degree child molestation.

During the trial, the State proved that Tabora molested a young boy known to him with the molestation being in the second degree. The molestation occurred when the victim was seven and eight years of age.

When the victim's mother feared the defendant had physically abused her son, she contacted the Blackstone Valley Advocacy Center seeking assistance and guidance. An advocate at the Center in turn reported the possible abuse to the Department of Children Youth and Families (DCYF).

In the course of the investigation, the victim was examined by physicians at the Aubin Child Protection Center at Hasbro Children's Hospital and subsequently started mental health counseling. The victim, who suffered nightmares and lived in fear the defendant was going to hurt him, finally disclosed the molestation to his counselor.

After the disclosure, the victim was brought to the Children's Advocacy Center at Day One for a formal, recorded interview. The defendant was charged and arrested a short time after.

"We are very fortunate to have the right resources available to help young victims of physical and sexual abuse," said Attorney General Kilmartin. "Making sure the victim had access to medical and mental health professionals in a safe space early on allowed police and our office to develop a strong case resulting in a successful prosecution," said Attorney General Kilmartin.

East Greenwich Police Detectives Kerrie Mazur and Bryan McManus led the investigation and Assistant Attorney General Stephen Regine prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: