Press Releases


Jamal Rogers Sentenced for 2012 Sexual Assault in Woonsocket

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Jamal Rogers (age 24), of Woonsocket, was sentenced today for the 2012 sexual assault of a then 15-year old girl. Rogers was sentenced to a total of 30 years, with 15 years to serve followed by 15 years suspended with probation. In addition, Rogers was ordered to have no contact with the victim, must undergo sex offender counseling, and is subject to lifetime sex offender registration. Rogers was found guilty in January of five counts of second degree sexual assault after a trial presided over by Superior Court Justice Daniel A. Procaccini.

During the trial, the State provide that during the afternoon of February 2, 2012, the defendant sexually assaulted a 15-year-old female.

The victim testified that she was on the swing set at Cass Park after school when she saw the defendant, who she did not recognize or know. She testified that she asked him for the time, to which he replied he did not have a watch and then asked her if she had any marijuana. She said no and then began to walk towards a nearby school to check the time.

The defendant grabbed her and pulled her into a wooded area behind the swing set, where he sexually assaulted her.

After the assault, the victim was able to escape. She ran to her grandparents' home, and although they asked if she was okay, she did not tell them about the assault because she did not want to upset them.

The following day, the victim reported the assault to a school counselor, who in turn reported the abuse to the Woonsocket Police School Resource Officer. The victim later identified the defendant from a photo array shown to her by the Woonsocket Police.

"The victim showed great bravery in reporting the sexual assault and identifying her assailant, which resulted in a sexual predator being sent to prison," said Attorney General Kilmartin.

Woonsocket Police Detective Sergeant Matthew Ryan led the investigation and Special Assistant Attorney General Alison DeCosta prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: