Press Releases


Marco Hernandez Sentenced to Life in Prison for the June 2014 Murder of Agustin Jaiman

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Marco Hernandez (age 23), of Providence, was sentenced today by Superior Court Justice Daniel A. Procaccini to life for the June 25, 2014 murder of 42-year-old Agustin Jaiman. Hernandez pleaded nolo contendere in July 17, 2017 to second degree murder, carrying a pistol without a license, possession of a stolen firearm, and improper disposal of a body.

Had the case proceeded to trial, the State was prepared to prove that on June 25, 2014, Hernandez shot and killed his cousin Agustin Jaiman (age 42) after a dispute over drug money. The murder took place in a garage on Constitution Street in Providence, the location of the drug operation. The investigation led officers to learn that Jaiman was the head of the operation and his cousin Hernandez worked for him handling the money from drug sales.

After the shooting, Hernandez stuffed Jaiman's body in a City of Providence garbage bin, which he dumped in a wooded area off Leander Street in Providence. Providence Police recovered the barrel on September 7, 2014, one day after a person reported that he had found the bin when searching for the origin of a smell in the area.

The Medical Examiner indicated that Jaiman was shot three times with a .38 caliber firearm.

Based on information gathered during the investigation, Providence Police issued an arrest warrant for Hernandez. He was captured near Orlando, FL in May 2016.

"While the victim in this case may not have died of a heroin overdose, as too many in this state have, the trafficking of the drug is the root cause of this murder. The trafficking of heroin and other illicit drugs, mixed with guns is a deadly recipe, which rips families apart and destroys lives. It has to stop," said Attorney General Kilmartin.

Providence Police Detective Casey Moffet led the investigation and Assistant Attorney General Stacey P. Veroni and Special Assistant Attorney General Allison Krause prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: