Press Releases


Cranston Man Found Guilty of Assault With Intent to Murder and Other Weapons Charges

Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that Alberto Rivera (age 42), of Cranston, was found guilty yesterday by a Providence County Superior Court jury of the December 4, 2016, assault with a dangerous weapon (firearm) in a dwelling with the intent to murder Juan Croussette. Rivera was also found guilty of burglary, assault with a dangerous weapon, discharging a firearm while committing a crime of violence, use of a firearm while committing a crime of violence, possession of a firearm after having previously been convicted of a crime of violence, and carrying a firearm without a license. The jury returned the guilty verdict within one hour after a four-day trial presided over by Superior Court Justice Robert D. Krause.

During the trial, the State proved that On December 6, 2016, Alberto Rivera shot his ex-wife's boyfriend in the neck. He then pointed the gun at his ex-wife as his 8-year old daughter begged him not to shoot her mother.

In the early morning hours of December 4, 2016, Juan Croussette heard footsteps on the gravel outside of his apartment located at 126 Lowell Avenue in Providence. He got out of the bed that he was sharing with his girlfriend Brenda Villanueva and went to the window. When he turned the exterior light on, he saw Brenda's ex-husband, Alberto Rivera, illuminated in the darkness.

As Crouswette told Villanueva to call the police, they heard the sliding glass door in the living room shatter. Sleeping in the living room at the time were the eight-year-old and seven-year-old daughters of Rivera and Villanueva. The eight-year old testified during the trial that she awoke to the sound of glass crashing down and saw her father in the apartment.

As Croussette headed to the living room to get the girls, Rivera shot him point blank in the neck. During the trial, Croussette testified that he fell to the floor and felt like he was drowning on his own blood.

Next, Rivera pointed the gun at his ex-wife and said, "I told you." As their eight-year old daughter looked on, she pleaded with her father not to shoot her mother. Rivera lowered the weapon and fled the scene through the broken sliding glass door. A short time later, he called Villanueva and said: "If you tell anyone it was me, I will blow your brains out."

As officers arrived, they found Croussette covered in blood trying to walk out to the street, where he collapsed. He was rushed to RI Hospital by ambulance.

Villanueva identified Rivera as the shooter. He was arrested several days later in Brockton, MA.

Providence Detectives Brian Dyer and Matthew Greely led the investigation and Assistant Attorney General James Baum and Special Assistant Attorney General Edward Mullaney prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.

Related links

Share this: